Quick test to determine the magnesium content in freshwater aquariums
- For the perfect aquarium plant growth: determines the ideal magnesium value to monitor the fertilisation of freshwater aquariums
- Laboratory comparator system to compensate any inherent water colouring: fill glass vials with sample water, add reagents to another cuvette, place cuvettes in holder, read values on colour chart
- Use: to set the ideal magnesium content for perfect plant growth, especially for sensitive plants
- Online Laboratory: free analysis and recommendations for the water values you have measured
- Package contents: 1 quick test, Mg Magnesium Test Freshwater. Contents for approx. 60 measurements. Incl. 3 reagents, 2 glass vials with screw caps, syringe, comparator block and colour scale. Refill reagents available separately
Healthy aquariums with conditions close to nature
The right water values are dependent on the fish stock and the plants in the aquarium. Even if the water looks clear it can be contaminated. With bad values diseases or algae can appear in the aquarium. To maintain a healthy aquarium with conditions close to nature it is important to check and adapt the water values regularly.
For each water analysis JBL provides water tests in the form of quick tests or colour change tests. These determine a certain value or several values in one go. With these water tests you can recognise algae problems and negative nitrate, nitrite, potassium, magnesium values etc.
Along with calcium, magnesium creates the general hardness. Magnesium is, like potassium, a macroelement, which is necessary for healthy and vigorous plant growth. Tap water very often contains too low quantities of magnesium for aquatic plants, quickly causing deficiency symptoms. Despite a regular fertilisation of the aquarium water it can happen that too low quantities of magnesium are available and the plants stagnate in their growth.
Recommended magnesium values:
Freshwater aquarium (community aquarium): 5-10 mg/l
Lake Malawi/Lake Tanganyika aquarium: 5-10 mg/l
Plant aquarium with few fish (aquascaping): 5-10 mg/l
Marine water Aquarium: this test is not suitable since the magnesium content in marine water lies at 1200-1600 mg/l. Therefore for marine water use the dedicated JBL Magnesium/Calcium Test.