Mazuri® Small Bird Breeder Diet is a complete bird food for small psittacines and passerines specially formulated for breeding birds and for small birds raising young. This nutritionally complete small bird food, formulated in small round particles, can be used as the primary diet for breeding birds.
- Specially formulated with balanced nutrition - Can be used as the sole diet for breeding birds.
- Nutritionally complete - Requires no mixing or supplementation.
- Better than pellets - Less fines and increased digestibility.
- Better than seeds - Less waste (20-50% of seed weight is hulls).
- Reduced diet preparation - Less time chopping fruit and veggies.
- Formulation allows for supplementation with species appropriate food items - Can include up to 20% (by weight) of diet as produce, seeds, etc. to encourage natural feeding behaviors and for training and enrichment.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
- Natural sources of pigments and antioxidants.
Product Form: Extruded feed: 3/32" round particles.
- This diet should be fed to prepare the birds for breeding and throughout the breeding season. If the birds are seasonal breeders or they are managed to be seasonal breeders, offer the Mazuri® Small Bird Breeder Diet at the start of the breeding season. If the birds are bred all year, feed this diet continuously. Wean young birds on this diet and continue feeding until first molt. After first molt, switch birds to Mazuri® Small Bird Maintenance Diet.
- To switch birds from seeds (or any diet they are currently being fed) to Mazuri® Small Bird Breeder Diet, do a gradual changeover. Start with 90% seed (or current diet) and 10% Mazuri® Small Bird Breeder Diet. On each succeeding day, reduce the amount of seeds by 10% while increasing the amount of Mazuri® Small Bird Breeder Diet by 10%. On the 10th day, the diet should consist only of Mazuri® Small Bird Breeder Diet.
- Monitor the bird’s weight and behavior carefully during the conversion period. Be especially attentive during the 10th to 12th day. If the bird is losing weight, or if the bird is not consuming the product, offer the bird a mix of 50% seed and 50% Mazuri® Small Bird Breeder Diet and restart the conversion process from this point. If the bird is not eating, the excreta color will become dark green and the volume will decrease. If the bird is consuming the Mazuri® Small Bird Breeder Diet, the excreta will be a brownish-green color.
For best results, store contents of open bag in container with sealing lid. Store in a cool (75°F or colder), dry (approximately 50% RH) location. Freezing will not harm the diet and may extend freshness. Use within 1 year of bag manufacturing.